Sunday, September 5, 2010

Weird Day







Yesterday was a really weird day. I woke up and felt off – not like I was getting a cold off, or in a bad mood off. Just weird off. When I was running I finally started feeling normal, but then my toe hit a rock and I had a startling moment where I realized I was going down. Given that I usually run on the bridle path which is nothing but gravel, dirt, and cinders, I have tripped before but have never gone down. In fact I can't remember a time ever when I have fallen. So I hobble home bleeding to clean up. Once I was bandaged and wearing pants, I went out to run errands only to find the shops were being evacuated after a bomb scare. Even the subway lines were shut down because the suspicious bag was right over a train stop. After that I got in a cab and the driver bizarrely stayed behind a slow moving vehicle while the lanes on either side of us were empty. Out of the cab I had to pick my way through a throng of people. Apparently Jay-Z had arrived at Chanel to shop – or so the security guard said. I love living in NYC. But I usually manage to avoid the places and times of day that prove why Manhattan can, at times, be a challenging place to live. Not yesterday. So I sat down, took a deep breath, and cleared my head. I shook off the weird feelings. Then I headed out to Long Island to have dinner on the Sound and the whole world seemed to right itself. I know the whole energy thing can sound like mumbo jumbo. But it never fails to amaze me how consciously centering myself can change how the world spins around me.

1 comment: