Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Perfect Pair of Jeans

I am working on the new book and hit a plot snag. I decided that there was no better way to do clear the mind than to shop. More specifically, shop for the perfect pair of jeans. I am getting a new author photo taken, your basic posed, dressy affair. But I also want to get other shots looking real. Hence the thought to get jeans. Jeans, white shirt, fun shoes. I started at Bergdorf Goodman where I bought a pair of James Jeans. While they are great, when I got them home they felt very young. So I went back out, headed to Saks Fifth Avenue in hopes of finding a pair that weren’t too young, but also weren’t mom jeans with a waist up to my neck. Saks has a huge jean department, but the young, impatient woman who helped me was, well, not very helpful and she couldn’t seem to get her mind around the thought of “not too young.” We pulled several pairs for me to try, and by the time I left the store I was certain that the Perfect Pair of Jeans didn’t exist. Next stop, Bloomingdale’s, though not before stopping at one of my favorite burger places, Burger Heaven for a cheeseburger and extra chocolate, chocolate milkshake. By the time I got to Bloomies I had gone up a full pant size. I found a pair there that I still don’t know what to think about. I actually like them a lot, but I keep remembering this photo of me from my junior year of college, and I swear they are the same jeans. What’s old eventually is new again?? I returned to Bergdorf thinking maybe I missed something (I didn’t), then made my way to Barney’s. Couldn’t find anything there, though that was probably due more to sheer jean overload than anything else. With arm muscles aching from pulling tight jeans on and off all day (who needs a weight room), I made my way home with two pair of jeans. I still need the white shirt and shoes, but just the thought of more shopping makes me shudder.

No comments:

Post a Comment